Friday, May 10, 2013

400 Degrees Hot Chicken

Although we live three hours from Nashville, we have no problem with getting in the car on a Saturday morning (or any morning really) and driving to 400 Degrees for their famous Nashville Hot Chicken.

Owner Aqui Simpson makes you feel like your one of her dearest friends coming to her kitchen to visit her. And honestly I think all of us who frequent her establishment are friends. Even before you taste her chicken you fall under Aqui’s charm as she talks with an exalted reverence about her favorite subject (and mine too now) fried chicken. The girl knows her way around a bird!

The first time we ate at 400 Degrees we had a nice chat with Aqui and told her we would be back often, despite living three hours away in Louisville. Two weeks later we stopped by on a Wednesday evening, on our way home from spring break. As we walked up to the counter Aqui greeting us by name. By name I tell you! She even remembered that we live in Louisville. I go to places here in Louisville for four years now and they don’t even know my name. Yet the second time I walk into 400 Degrees I’m greeted by name.

 
But better than her amazing ability to remember faces and names is her remarkable chicken. It was just as wonderful the second time as it was the first time we ate there. Our only regret was that we didn’t take a few extra portions to go so we could have it the next night for dinner as well.

Aqui’s restaurant is named for the heat level in her hottest version of this unique fried chicken, which is served in quarters. Thankfully she has milder levels for those of us who don’t have iron lined stomachs. 200 degrees is her medium heat level and still packs a mighty punch. My heat-loving husband is addicted to her 200 degree hot chicken despite breaking out in a sweat as he eats it. Being somewhat wimpy, I order the 100 degree version.

 


No matter what degree you like your chicken, beware because you’ll find yourself dreaming of Aqui’s tasty fried delights. Dare I say it? Yes I dare! 400 Degrees has the best fried chicken I’ve ever eaten in my life. And that sound you just heard? That was the sound of my Southern Grandmother rolling over in her grave. 




400 Degrees Hot Chicken
19 Peabody Street
Nashville, TN 37210

0 comments:

Post a Comment