Monday, May 13, 2013

Hammerheads

Any restaurant that clearly states No Reservations and Limited Seating is one I actively avoid. So why I find myself urging the hubster to take me there for dinner on a Friday or Saturday is beyond me. And by urging I mean all I have to say is "Hammerheads" and within ten seconds he's in the car revving the engine and honking the horn for me to hurry.

If you arrive anytime past 5:10pm (keeping in mind that they open at 5:00pm) expect a long wait. Damn I hate to wait. But standing in Hammerheads, mashing shoulders with other drooling foodies is--dare I say it--almost pleasurable. First off, the place is so bloody small, it's impossible not to ogle everyone else's dinner. And if the sight and smell of the food doesn't start your belly rumbling, then seeing the orgasmic expressions on people's faces as they eat will. And secondly, standing with your brethren--fellow foodies--discussing the plates marching by on their way to hungry diners, makes you feel like your standing on Broadway discussing plays with the top critics. And when your table is ready, your new friends often give you a high five.

But the real reason your at Hammerheads? The food. Ah, what can I say that hasn't been said countless times before by other patrons? Pork belly, pork belly, pork belly. Slow smoked over real wood (a mixture of oak and cherry) then deep fried to a crispy crunch that yields to a moist, tender, meatiness. Well, that pretty much gets my taste buds on full alert. In other words, no matter what you order, get it topped with pork belly!

 

Another must is their fries. Don't be a whimp and order plain fries. Step outside the box and order them fried in duck fat. You'll never be the same! My cardiologist will cringe as I write this, but cooked in duck fat are the only way I want my fries from now on. It amazes me but even after they get cold, they're still crispy. How the heck does that happen? Our friends ordered the Grippo fries. They taste like Grippo potato chips. Really yummy and really addictive. But I have to say, my heart--clogged arteries and all--belong to the duck fat fries.

 

The first time we went I had the smoked duck tacos. My only regret is that I I gave the hubster one of them. Next time I had the Elk burger topped with heaven on earth--smoked pork belly.
 

They have this delightful, inventive twist on an old favorite,  the PBLT, or in layman's terms, the Pork Belly, Lettuce, Tomato sandwich. This is the same smoked, deep fried pork belly they top their burgers with. Slather an amazing aioli on the thick slices of Texas toast that houses the symphony and you've got a sandwich that defies words.

The last time we dined at Hammerheads they were out of pork ribs (insert deep, heaving sobs) so I ordered fried chicken and sweet potato waffles. Easily one of their most popular dishes, I found myself disappointed. The waffle was heavy yet thin. First off let me explain, I make the best Belgium waffles you'll ever likely eat in the state of Kentucky and maybe the entire Midwest.  So I set the bar very high when it comes to waffles. Also I was enamored with the fact that the chicken it's topped with is all wings. Albeit huge wings. But looks aside, the wings were quite tasty. For someone who isn't a waffle aficionado, this would be  a perfectly acceptable dish. But frankly I'd save the chicken and waffles for the kiddies and go on to something more adventurous.

 

Did I mention dessert? If you don't have room for dessert after your meal, order it anyway. Hammerheads has this divine bacon brownie. Served warm with a drizzle of chocolate, not only is it infused with chunks of yummy salty bacon, but it's liberally sprinkled on top as well. Hello Heaven! Hello Hammerheads!
 

Hammerheads
921 Swan Street
Louisville, Kentucky 40204

0 comments:

Post a Comment