Saturday, May 25, 2013

Scott’s-Parker’s Barbecue

On Highway 412 you'll find a small, unassuming building with a long line. Get in the line as quick as you can because when they turn the light off, that's it.

I didn't get it at first. All I was told was that Scott's cooks whole hog barbecue. For most BBQ connoisseur's that's all you need to say. I should have understood because the hubby and I used to cook on the competition BBQ circuit (KCBS). But what can I say; I am a little slow at times.

Standing in line at 11:30 Saturday morning, I paid close attention to the way people ahead of me were ordering. "Jumbo, dark meat with hot. Regular with slaw and mild. Regular, naked. Two with slaw, one mild one hot." Okay, I could do this. My turn finally came. "Regular, mild with slaw." The hubby went with "Jumbo, hot with slaw." We sounded like pro's!


 
We sit down with our sandwiches and wrap them. I can't say for sure, but I think I heard angels singing in the background. I can't tell you how good the food was because I went into a momentary food coma. Yeah, it was that good. My regret is that we didn't try one with dark meat. I'm not quite sure what part of a whole hog is the dark meat, but I'd love to find out. That's okay, it's just another excuse for me to go back.

I was so intent on getting my order worded correctly that I'd forgotten to get a fried pie. The hubster and I had decided on sharing a fried peach pie/ And boy did they ever look good! I'd show you how good, but you know how those food coma's can be. They make you lose all sense of reason and coherent thought. 

What was I talking about? Oh yeah, fried pies. So I go back in line and order a peach pie. As I'm standing in line I see the whole hog. Or rather, the shell of the whole hog. And he is picked pretty darn clean. So clean in fact, that while I am still in line to order my fried peach pie, the lights suddenly go off and the men in line behind me say a few four letter words in a dejected tone. Lucky for them they turned the light off just as they were running almost out, so they still had a couple of sandwiches for them. All was right with the world, or at least those of us that had whole pig, pulled pork sandwiches. They even have ribs, but I think you have to call ahead to make sure they save yours for you or they are quickly gone.

 

When I saw the empty shell of the whole hog, it occurred to me - what do they do with the skin? Do they make fried pork skin (or as my Grandparents called it - cracklings). I asked the owner. They don't currently make them but he is thinking about it. He told me to wait a minute and he'd give me a sample of what he's been experimenting with. A few minutes later he comes back with a large quart sized baggie full of cracklings (fried pork skin) and a small container of BBQ sauce to dip them in. He gave them to us on the house. And not only that, but he gave a bag to each of the other two tables as well, just because I'd asked if they had them. What a guy, eh?! The husband and wife at the end table told us they were from Georgia and the cracklings were as good, if not better, than any they'd ever gotten in Georgia. The older gentleman at the table next to us said that he's not heard anyone call them cracklings since he was a young boy many moons ago. We ended up talking to him for about 20 minutes as he told us his entire life story. Fortunately it was an interesting life story.

Oh, I'm forgetting the fried peach pie, aren't I? Holy moly, that puppy was mighty good! It was--hands down--the best fried pie I've ever put between my lips. Next time I'm getting my own. They are just too good to share. They had at least six different flavors. The scientific thing to do would be to try each flavor, right? Just for research purposes of course.

So if you're anywhere in or around the state of Kentucky, get your pie hole over to Scott’s Parker’s Barbecue and wrap your lips around a "Jumbo hot with slaw and a fried peach pie." Your taste buds will thank you!


Scott’s-Parker’s Barbecue
10880 Highway 412 W.
Lexington, TN 38351

0 comments:

Post a Comment